This article provides a sample tutorial on how to change a Framework-Dependent .NET Core application to a Self-Contained one (i.e. all the assemblies are included) for Visual Studio 2017.
1) Launch Visual Studio.
2) Select File -> New -> Project (CTRL-SHIFT-N)
3) In the New Project window, select .NET Framework 4.6 or higher, choose a programming language, select Web, then ASP.NET Core Application (.NET Core), give your project a name and click on OK.
4) In the next window, select the ASP.NET Core Version, Web Application and click on the OK button.
5) Open the .csproj file in your project by right clicking on it in the Solution Explorer window and then selecting it.
6) Add the following XML markup to the file in the PropertyGroup section.
7) Go to Tools -> NuGet Package Manger -> Package Manager Console to open the console window at the bottom.
8) In the console window, type in "dotnet restore" and hit enter. Wait for it to finish.
9) Rebuild your project (CTRL-SHIFT-B)
Now, you are ready to deploy your solution to the platform of your choice without having the need for certain assemblies to be installed on the server. Deploying this way avoids versioning issues (i.e. a certain .NET Core version to be installed on the server).