The following instructions apply only to Web Application Projects
. For Web Site Projects, please see this Knowledge Base article
Web Deploy is a new method to publish your web application.
- Web Deploy is only available for web sites hosted on Windows 2008 servers.
- In order to use the web deploy method with Visual Studio 2010 you must activate IIS Manager permissions in Control Panel if you have not already done so. For details on activating IIS Manager permissions, please see this Knowledge Base article.
To publish your web application using Web Deploy:
- Open the project in Visual Studio 2010.
- Click Build -> Publish. This will bring up the "Publish Web" dialog box.
- Change the "Publish Method" to Web Deploy.
- In the "Service URL" field, enter: "https://[webserver].discountasp.net:8172/MsDeploy.axd ([webserver] is the actual server name, for example; web701).
- In the "Site/application" field, enter: "[domainName]/[subdirectory], e.g.; yourhosteddomain.com/app1. Replace [subdirectory] with the directory you wish to publish the application to.
- Check Mark as IIS application on destination. (There is no need to do this if you are deploying to the Root)
- Check Allow untrusted certificate.
- In the username field, enter your Control Panel login user name (not to be confused with FTP login).
- In the password field, enter your password.
- Click Publish.
Studio 2010 Deployment Overview
do I deploy a Visual Studio 2010 Web Site Project using the Copy web
do I deploy a Visual Studio 2010 Web Site Project using Publish Web
do I deploy a Visual Studio 2010 Web Application Project using FTP?
Article ID: 792, Created On: 3/29/2010, Modified: 4/22/2011